Tijjaniya Pilgrims Warned Over Road Travel to Senegal

The Foreign Affairs Ministry has urged travellers heading to Senegal for the Prophet Muhammad’s birthday commemoration to reconsider road journeys and opt for air travel amid security concerns along some routes to Dakar.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a travel advisory to members of the Tijjaniya Muslim Movement of Ghana planning to travel to Senegal for the commemoration of the birthday of Prophet Muhammad, urging them to exercise heightened caution over their travel arrangements. In the advisory dated August 21, 2026, the Ministry said Senegal remains safe for travellers but raised concerns about security conditions along certain road corridors leading to the capital, Dakar, particularly for people undertaking long-distance journeys by road.
The warning is directed specifically at members of the Tijjaniya Muslim Movement expected to travel to Senegal for the religious commemoration, with the Ministry urging them to make personal safety and security a priority when planning their trips. The Ministry stressed that the security concerns do not amount to a declaration that Senegal is unsafe for travel.
Rather, it said the concerns relate to specific road corridors and the risks associated with long-distance road travel, prompting it to recommend air travel as the safer option. “Prospective travellers are strongly advised to consider travel by air as the most preferred, safe and secure means of transportation,” the Ministry said. It further urged travellers who had already begun making arrangements to travel by road to reconsider their plans and opt for air travel instead.
The advisory could affect a significant number of Ghanaian Tijjaniya followers who may be preparing to travel overland for the religious gathering, particularly those planning lengthy journeys through regional road corridors before reaching Dakar. The Ministry called on the Tijjaniya Muslim Movement and all prospective travellers to comply with the advisory and take the security situation into account before embarking on their journeys.
It also assured Ghanaian travellers that it was monitoring developments closely and working with relevant international partners to assess the situation. “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reiterates its unwavering commitment to the welfare, safety and protection of Ghanaian nationals,” it said, adding that it would continue to monitor the situation closely.
The advisory therefore stops short of discouraging travel to Senegal altogether. Instead, it places particular emphasis on how travellers get there, with the government strongly favouring air transport over long-distance road travel because of security concerns along certain routes to Dakar. The Ministry urged prospective travellers to exercise caution, review their transportation plans and prioritise their safety throughout the journey.
By: Joyce Owusu


