Tanoso Chief Held Over Suspected Illegal Mining
A traditional leader in Tanoso has been arrested after residents allegedly caught him moving suspected illegally mined materials from a site near the Tano River.

The Ankobeahene of the Tanoso Traditional Area, Nana Amoako Atta, has been taken into police custody following allegations that he was involved in illegal mining activities in the Tano North Municipality of the Ahafo Region. The arrest followed an incident on Sunday when residents and youth reportedly intercepted the chief while he was transporting sacks containing mineral-bearing stones and sand from a mining site to the palace.
Residents said Nana Amoako Atta claimed the materials belonged to him when confronted. He was subsequently handed over to the police for further investigation. The development has stirred concern in Tanoso, where residents have become increasingly alarmed about the impact of illegal mining on the Tano River and the surrounding environment. For some time, residents had raised suspicions about the traditional leader’s activities, according to youth leader Abdul Razak Iddriss. However, he said they had been unable to substantiate the allegations until the latest incident.
Addressing journalists in Tanoso on Monday, August 17, Iddriss said the arrest represented an important development in the community’s efforts to protect the river from further degradation. He said residents initially believed the chief might have been taking materials from illegal miners as part of efforts to stop their activities. The discovery that the materials had allegedly been transported to the palace, however, raised further questions about their intended use and ownership. Traditional authorities have previously encouraged residents to apprehend persons found destroying forests and water bodies, citing concerns over the inability of government-led operations, including the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) and the Blue Water Guard, to bring the situation under control.
Residents are now insisting that the latest case should not be resolved through traditional mediation. Frank Antwi Adjei, a resident, appealed to traditional authorities and other influential persons who might seek to intervene on behalf of the accused chief to allow the police investigation and legal process to proceed. He also called on the Tano North Municipal Chief Executive, Pius Opoku, to ensure that the matter is handled in accordance with the law.
Police authorities have confirmed the arrest and subsequent transfer of the suspect. He was moved to the Divisional Police Headquarters at Duayaw-Nkwanta with assistance from the Ahafo Regional Police Command. The regional command has assumed responsibility for the investigation, a move intended to reduce the possibility of local interference. The allegations have not yet been tested in court, and the arrest does not amount to a finding of guilt. Investigators are expected to establish where the suspected mineral-bearing materials originated, who owns them and whether the accused traditional leader had any connection to the mining operation.
The case has also renewed attention on the wider environmental damage attributed to illegal mining in the municipality, particularly its effect on the Tano River. The Member of Parliament for Tano North, Dr Gideon Boako, the municipal administration, security authorities, youth organizations and other stakeholders have expressed their commitment to efforts aimed at stopping illegal mining and rehabilitating the affected water body. For residents, the outcome of the investigation will be closely watched as they seek accountability and stronger measures to protect the Tano River from further destruction.
By: Joyce Owusu



