
Tanker drivers in the Ashanti, Bono, Ahafo and Western North regions have begun a three-day sit-down strike over alleged inaccuracies in fuel measurement at the Kumasi Depot of the Bulk Oil Storage and Transportation Company (BOST). The industrial action, which began on Monday, August 17, has halted the distribution activities of the affected drivers, who say they are being forced to absorb financial losses arising from fuel shortages recorded by meters at the depot.
According to a JoyNews report, the drivers contend that several internal checks involving transporters, the National Petroleum Authority (NPA) and tanker unions have failed to establish evidence of fuel siphoning, despite the depot’s measuring systems repeatedly recording shortfalls. Vice Chairman of the association, Dominic Brenya, said the drivers had conducted exercises with relevant stakeholders to determine the cause of the discrepancies but remained concerned about the accuracy of the equipment. “We have done exercises with transporters, the National Petroleum Authority, and tanker unions, which have shown that no one siphons fuel, but the measuring machines proved otherwise,” he said.
Mr Brenya said the discrepancies were imposing a significant financial burden on drivers, particularly because they were required to account for shortages recorded by the meters. He said the situation was even more worrying because modern tracking technologies had been introduced to monitor the movement of both drivers and petroleum products, yet discrepancies continued to emerge from the measurement systems. The drivers suspect that the technology used at the offloading point may either be faulty or improperly calibrated. They are therefore demanding urgent intervention by BOST, the NPA and the government to investigate the equipment and resolve the problem.
Beyond the measurement dispute, the drivers have raised concerns about what they describe as inefficiencies in the loading systems at the Kumasi Depot. They say inadequate loading facilities frequently result in prolonged delays, leaving drivers stranded for extended periods before they can load and transport petroleum products to their destinations. The lack of adequate parking space has also emerged as a major safety concern.
According to the drivers, tanker trucks are often parked on road shoulders around the depot because there is insufficient space within the facility. They argue that the practice poses a serious risk to other road users because the trucks are carrying highly flammable petroleum products. Even drivers who manage to secure space in the parking area provided by BOST, they say, face difficult conditions because portions of the facility are untarred and unsuitable for prolonged use. The association is consequently calling for proper resting and sleeping facilities for drivers who are required to remain at the depot while waiting to load.
The drivers have indicated that they will maintain the sit-down strike until their concerns receive satisfactory attention from BOST, the NPA and the government. Management of BOST in Kumasi has so far declined to comment on the allegations. The strike has raised concerns about the potential impact on petroleum-product distribution in the affected areas. If the disruption persists beyond the three-day period, supply to some filling stations could come under pressure, particularly if alternative arrangements are not made to maintain deliveries. The dispute therefore places pressure on the relevant authorities to resolve the drivers’ concerns while ensuring that the movement of petroleum products is not disrupted for an extended period.
By: Joyce Owusu



