Sports

Rene Hiddink Case: Hearts of Oak Confirms FIFA Closure

Accra Hearts of Oak have finally resolved their long-running contractual dispute with former Technical Director Rene Hiddink, with FIFA formally closing the case and lifting all registration restrictions imposed on the club. The development follows the full settlement of the financial obligation owed to Hiddink, which the former Hearts technical director confirmed he had received earlier this month. Hearts subsequently informed supporters on Tuesday, August 18, that FIFA had officially communicated the closure of the matter. The resolution brings an end to a dispute that had imposed a significant transfer headache on one of Ghana’s most prominent football clubs and restricted its ability to register new players.

Hiddink joined Hearts of Oak in July 2023 on a three-year contract as Technical Director. His stay, however, lasted only about eight months before the club terminated the agreement. The Dutchman subsequently challenged the termination and sought redress through the football authorities after the club failed to reach an agreement with him over the outstanding obligations under his contract. The case eventually reached FIFA, which ruled in Hiddink’s favour and ordered Hearts to pay compensation. Reports on the FIFA ruling put the award at approximately US$150,000, while subsequent reports placed the outstanding settlement at about US$146,000. The dispute was not resolved within the period required by FIFA.

Hearts’ failure to comply with the ruling triggered FIFA sanctions in August 2025. FIFA imposed a restriction preventing the club from registering new players domestically and internationally. The sanction could remain in force for up to three registration windows, with the Ghana Football Association directed to enforce it at the national level. The ban became a major obstacle to Hearts’ efforts to strengthen their squad, particularly as the club sought to rebuild and improve its competitiveness in the Ghana Premier League. Attempts to settle the matter subsequently encountered difficulties. In May 2026, reports indicated that Hearts had made a settlement proposal that was rejected by Hiddink’s representatives because it was below the compensation awarded by FIFA.

The deadlock was eventually broken in early August 2026. Hiddink confirmed that Hearts had paid the outstanding settlement. The payment paved the way for the formal lifting of the FIFA restriction. In its August 18 statement, Hearts said the settlement had been fully completed and duly confirmed by Hiddink. “Consequently, FIFA has formally lifted all registration restrictions previously imposed on the Club in connection with the matter,” the club stated, though Hearts did not disclose the amount paid in its own statement. The club said it was pleased that the matter had been brought to a conclusion and maintained that it had acted in good faith throughout the process with the aim of reaching a “responsible and amicable resolution.”

With FIFA now confirming the closure of the case and removing the restrictions, Hearts of Oak can proceed with the registration of players without the Hiddink-related restriction hanging over the club. The development is particularly significant for the club’s preparations for the 2026/27 season, as the transfer ban had complicated its efforts to reinforce the squad. Hearts’ management has urged supporters and stakeholders to remain calm and allow the matter to rest now that the relevant process has been concluded. The club also expressed appreciation to its supporters, popularly known as Phobians, for their patience, understanding and continued support throughout the dispute.

The resolution means that what began with the premature termination of Hiddink’s three-year contract, escalated into a FIFA compensation ruling and eventually resulted in a transfer registration ban, has now formally come to an end. FIFA’s latest decision clears the way for Hearts of Oak to turn its attention fully to squad building and the new season, without the Hiddink dispute continuing to restrict its player-registration activities.

By: Joyce Owusu

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button